The Kozmetsky Center aims to enrich the intellectual life of St. Edward's University, and to serve as a resource for informing the broader public on critical global issues. The center seeks to deepen understanding of the complex challenges of an increasingly integrated world. We facilitate interdisciplinary exchanges among experts, students, faculty, and the broader public in a variety of forums. Past speakers have included American and foreign diplomats, policy makers, university scholars, and leaders of the business, non-profit, and cultural communities. We also periodically host short-term resident visiting scholars and practitioners from the United States and around the world to share their expertise and diverse perspectives with the St. Edward’s University community.
Our programs and activities are directed toward advancing sustained productive international partnerships throughout the world and among the dynamic local Austin community. The Kozmetsky Center contributes to advancing the mission of St. Edward’s University to educate students and prepare graduates with the tools needed to contribute to a more just world. The Kozmetsky Center supports the university's Global Initiative providing students with international opportunities and experiences on multiple levels, and equipping students for working effectively in an interdependent and culturally dynamic world community.
The Kozmetsky Center contributes to academic programs and the learning experience of students at St. Edward’s University on a number of levels. The core objectives for our programs and activities in support of the St. Edward’s academic community include:
- Introducing a diversity of regional and global perspectives;
- Contributing to the development of sustained productive international exchanges and partnerships throughout the world;
- Supporting the utilization of new communication technology to integrate global perspectives in learning and understanding issues;
- Offering the contributions of leading academic experts and practitioners across disciplines and professional areas of expertise;
- Advancing understanding of potential public-private sector collaboration in pursuing opportunities and addressing challenges;
- Exploring the application of theory/academic expertise to supporting real-world issue problem solving and cooperative efforts in policy, community service, etc.